“You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you,” Isaiah 26:3
“Stayed” derives from a word that means, “to form as a mold.” I think of mold forms for cheese or gelatin. Practice forming your mind to stay on Christ, as your trust Him, He provides perfect peace.
To the amazement of two disciples, Jesus obliged their strong urge to “Stay with us:” Soon after, because of relationship, Jesus asked them to, “stay in the city.” “I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. Stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high…” See Luke 24:30-53. “And while staying with them he [Jesus] ordered them to ‘stay and wait for the promise of the Father…you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit…’” Acts 1:4-5 [paraphrase mine.]
For those who “stayed:”
- Jesus walked the duration to their house
- Jesus revealed answers to questions
- Jesus ate with the two, breaking bread and forming spiritual intimacy
- Jesus illuminated life to the two disciples spiritual dullness
- Jesus’ stay initiated the two disciples deeper fellowship
- The disciples received the promise of the Father
- The disciples’ lives changed and affected the world from that moment
All of this occurred because He stayed when they asked and they stayed when He asked.
Christ’s Stay: Extending a dinner invitation, toward a stranger, presented nothing out of the ordinary in ancient days. Actually, in the ancient world, dining displayed an image of intimacy. Two disciples urged Christ to stay with us, and an intimate relationship formed between Christ and the disciples along with a deeper relationship between the two disciples.
A friend’s Stay: The “Science of Friends Study” revealed brain stimulation when a friend stayed with one going through tests, and simply holding their hand. The study revealed our need for friendship. We need one another for a healthy social life. Stay, not looking at past failures or anticipating future concerns. Stay with your friend through celebrations and troubles—both will benefit from such a friendship. Fellowship develops when friends center life and conversation on Christ and His Word. Stay with a friend.
His promise fulfilled as we Stay: Jesus said the promise of God would occur. The Promise of the Father fulfilled one hundred twenty lives, because they stayed. The Holy Spirit’s stay changed their lives and the world from that moment. He promised to fill us and to never leave us.
Urge Jesus to Stay. He urges us to stay:
- By His Spirit, Jesus stays to walk the duration with us
- By His Spirit, Jesus stays to reveal answers to most of our questions
- By His Spirit, Jesus stays to form spiritual intimacy with us
- By His Spirit, Jesus stays to illuminate His life to our spiritual dullness
- By His Spirit, Jesus stay causes us to experience fellowship with one another
- The Holy Spirit stays to change our lives to never remain the same
- The Holy Spirit stays to use us to affect the world around us
Ask Him to stay:
How may your life change because He stayed and remains staying?
He asks you to stay:
How may your life change because you stayed and remain staying in mind, spirit, and body?