January 5 – Tasting of Genesis 15-17: “And Abram believed the LORD, and the LORD counted him as righteous because of his faith.” At ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him,
“Walk in my presence and live pure-hearted”
- I will make an everlasting covenant between you and your descendents and me
- I will change your name from Abram to Abraham.
- Canaan belongs to you and your descendents forever.
- I will be their God
- Obey me in circumcising each male among your offspring
As for Sarai:
- Her name will be Sarah
- I will bless her and give you a son from her. Name him Isaac.
- I will bless Ishmael, your first-born son, by Hagar, but my covenant is established through Isaac, Sarah’s son.
Today’s Nourishment: “Walk in my presence and live pure-hearted.” Lord, walking in your presence causes me live pure-hearted. As you gave Abram and Sarai a portion of your name – the “H” sound, to become Abraham and Sarah, you change what others call me. When I came to Christ, you gave me a new name, Christian. Now, as others see Christ in me, they call me Christ-ian (little Christ). They called them “Christians” first in Antioch, see Acts 11:26.
“For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance…to the other a fragrance….” 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 ESV. I pray that we carry the fragrance of your name with honor. I pray that we offer the fragrance of Christ in our way of treating others and in our conversations and attitudes.
Lord, I thank you that I benefit from the covenant you made with Abraham. Jesus, my Savior, came through the lineage of Abraham. As I live in Christ, that life affords me to:
- Rest because of your love toward me
- Settle in your peace around me
- Live with your joy on me
You gave us your name and covenant to carry gracefully. When life seems to overtake me and the Word does not seem strong in me, let me remember, that I am the aroma of Christ, carrying your name, to rest because of your love toward me, settle in your peace around me, and live with your joy on me.
Thank you for the faith that you impute to me in order that I may “Walk in his presence and live pure-hearted.”
Name how you rest because of his love toward you
Name how you settle in his peace around you
Name how you live with his joy on you
Leave a Reply