Today’s Tasting: Psalm 119 is an acrostic poem using the Hebrew alphabet at the start of each stanza. The longest Psalm in the book, speaks about how the written Word of God is sustenance for our everyday living, meets our deepest soul needs, appeals to our senses, and guides us in all of life. The written Word of God becomes living in our hearts and lives as we experience Jesus through His written Word.
“Blessed are those…who walk in the law of the Lord!” (Psalm 119:1 ESV).
“Having my eyes fixed on all your commandments…I will praise you with an upright heart…and fix my eyes on your ways…I will not forget your word…open my eyes…give me life according to your word…” (6-7, 15-16, 18, 25 ESV).
Today’s Nourishment: What are your needs today? Jesus is the Word. He is a present God who wants to live in our present circumstances and lives. Where will you let Him live?
“His Word is Living and active, sharper than any tow-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12 ESV).
The stanzas are divided into twenty-two segments that start with each letter of the Hebrew alphabet:
- Aleph – verses 1-8: Your Word Yields Character – See Him
- Beth – verses 9-16: Your Word Cleanses and Clears Spiritual Eyes
- Gimel – verses 17-24: Your Word Counsels
- Daleth – verses 25-32: Your Word Strengthens
- Waw – verses 33-40: Your Word Sets a Pathway – Hear Him
- Zayin – verses 41-48: Your Word Speaks – Taste Him
- Heth – verses 49-56: Your Word Comforts
- Teth – verses 57-64: Your Word Promises
- Yodh – verses 65-72: Your Word Corrects
- Kaph – verses 73-80: Your Word Grows Hope
- Lamedh – verses 81-88: Your Word is Sure
- Mem – verses 89-96: Your Word is Fixed
- Nun – verses 97-104: Your Word Imparts Wisdom – Taste Him
- Samekh – verses 105-112: Your Word Illuminates Life
- Ayin – verses 113-120: Your Word Protects – Touch Him
- Pe – verses 121-128: Your Word Acts
- Tsadhe – verses 129-136: Your Word Shines
- Qoph – verses 137-144: Your Word is Righteous
- Resh – verses 145-152: Your Word Awakens – See, Hear, Touch Him
- Sin and Shin – verses 153-160: Your Word is Truth
- Taw – verses 161-168: Your Word is Peace
- Taw – verses 169-176: Your Word Lives – Hear, Taste, Touch Him
“Let my soul live and praise you, and let your Word help me” (paraphrase mine Psalm 119: 175).
“He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God” (Revelation 19:13 ESV).
When life is tough and you need anything, run to The Word of God! When life is lonely and you need companionship, run to The Word of God! When life is good and you just want communication, sit with The Word of God!
Review the stanzas of Psalm 119 and determine which portion speaks to you as Your Word for today. Fill in the blank space: The Word of God is _________________________________________________________________________________________________ for me, to me, and in me.
Tomorrow’s Delight: 1 Kings 3-4
Carolyn Marlowe, CCLC
Gigi to six adorable grandchildren